International-mindedness is a view of the world in which people see themselves connected to the global community and assume a sense of responsibility towards its members. The learner profile and approaches to learning provide the skills for the development of international-mindedness.
An internationally minded learner:
- is a competent communicator
- is open-minded and knowledgeable
- is a caring and principled thinker
- uses his or her curiosity and research skills to inquire about the world
- thinks and reflects critically about opportunities and challenges
- takes action for positive changes (for example, to promote intercultural understanding, foster caring relationships, to care for self and others)
- takes risks to further self-development and understanding of others
Experience and Collaboration
The journey to PYP authorisation at Girton Glebe is being led by Director of IB Programmes for the Eastern Learning Alliance, Jo Sale. Jo is Vice Principal at Impington Village College, which has been an IB World School for more than 30 years.
During this time, Jo has spent more than two decades working on the IB programmes, leading the authorisation for the Careers and Middle Years Programmes, regular programme evaluations for the Diploma and Careers Programmes and securing the College’s position as the UK’s leading non-selective provider of the IB. Jo also works closely with the IB Schools and Colleges Association (IBSCA) and recently trained as an Evaluation Visit Team Leader with the IBO. Her wealth of experience and expertise means she is well placed to support the leadership team at Girton to deliver a world-class education for its pupils.
The partnership with Impington Village College will ensure that pupils joining Girton Glebe will have access to an all-through IB experience to the age of 18, covering all of the IB programmes. Pupils will also access specialist teachers from IVC for a range of subjects, including Modern Foreign Languages, Latin and Design Technology. This will position our family of schools as truly unique within the state sector; the only providers in the East of England to offer a free IB education through from early years to 18.