Inquiry, as the leading approach of the Primary Years Programme (PYP) recognizes students as being actively involved in their own learning and as taking responsibility for that learning. PYP learning is approached with a spirit of inquiry. Drawing from the transdisciplinary themes and students’ interests, inquiry is an authentic way for students to relate to, explore and understand the world around them.
Through the inquiry process, students move from current understandings to new and deeper understandings. This process involves:
- exploring, wondering and questioning
- experimenting and playing with possibilities
- making connections between previous learning and current learning
- making predictions and acting purposefully to see what happens
- collecting data and reporting findings
- clarifying existing ideas and reappraising perceptions of events
- applying concepts to deepen conceptual understandings
- researching and seeking information
- establishing and testing theories
- solving problems in a variety of ways
- taking and defending a position.